Tour Leader (Independent Contractor)
Tours are year round, with the busiest season from March – June. Most tours are 2-4 days in length.
Tour leaders impart information-rich commentary in a fun and engaging way while facilitating the logistics of the tour, including keeping the group on time for scheduled appointments, handing out tickets, facilitating meals, keeping in contact with the motorcoach operators and assisting with checking-in and out of the hotel. Tour leaders accompany the group for the tour duration; staying at the same hotel and often traveling with the group to and from their point of origin.
For this position, we are seeking individuals with strong leadership abilities who possess a genuine interest in the academic, social, and emotional growth of adolescents as it pertains to travel. Outstanding tour leaders are very knowledgeable about their destination, maintain a positive attitude, and engage tour participants in their surroundings.
- Experience with middle school and/or high school students in a teaching capacity is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the destination to which they will be traveling is strongly preferred.
- Applicants must possess excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and a strong sense of direction.
- Strong leadership abilities and the flexibility to work independently and as a team player are a must.
- Applicant must be able to walk five miles daily.
- Applicant must be available for:
- a weekday training session in February at the Scholastica Travel office.
- a weekend training session (Friday evening – Sunday evening) in late February or early March. The training session will be held in Washington D.C.
- Perform all duties necessary to ensure the smooth operation of the tour.
- Provide engaging and informative commentary to tour participants
- Maintain good communication with group leader, bus driver, and other tour leaders.
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to Janet Pezze, firstname.lastname@example.org.